Monday 21 May 2012

Hi,
Well, LC and I arrived in my country Sunday morning after almost 24 hours of travel but only a three hour time difference.  The flights went well, connections were good and bags arrived safe and sound.  We checked into our hotel, slept for a bit, went for lunch and then spent the afternoon unpacking and sorting things out.  Our hotel doesn't have a retuarant but the one across the street does.  Our hotel does serve breakfast so that's good.

This morning the agent and driver picked us up and drove us to the first orphanage.  I am chomping at the bit to see more.  There are 18 to visit in 10 days but as my English grandmother used to say patience is a virtue and I believe we have three on the agenda for tomorrow.  Thursday, I think we are going down the coast to visit another three.  I got a list of orphanages from somebody that came ahead of me and so it is hard to sit back and be quiet.  I figure I should wait until Wednesday to ask about the three south of the airport as I don't want to upset the agent.  The one I really want to see is a Catholic girls orphanage on the same street as the hotel.  Apparently it is harder to visit. 

The children this morning were so great.  The first room had four or five special needs children.  The second room had the children that weren't at school and a couple new arrivals that should have been.  These children LOVED the things in the goodie bag and the Canadian bang sticks were quite popular.  It is amazing how cross-cultural some things are.  The children loved the little shaped bracelets that the kids wear back home.  I could have brought a suitcase full of just those!  We were allowed to take pictures but I can't post any of the children.  I'll post a few of the country just so you can get a feel for the place.  The jungle flying in was very dense and wonderful shades of green. 

There was one little girl this morning, I'll call her R that had just arrived a few weeks ago.  She was very endearing and affectionate.  My travel partner LC also had a little one attached to her the entire time!  Unfortunately because R is a new arrival it doesn't look as if she is available.  The agent is going to try and look into things.  I want to go back and visit before we go.  I bought a special striped monkey from Pier One that I was going to leave with my little one, if I found one.  If I don't, I'd love to leave it with R.
Me in my living room, minus my huge purse!

L and I post checking my cases.  I have almost as much carry on as L does luggage in total!
A frieghter going down the river to the coast.

More river
More trees!  It is rainy season here!

The view from the balcony the third floor shares.

A primary school across a field from the orphanage. Its outside area is on the other side.

Can't get the margins back! Oh well, at least I've updated you all. I am loving the fact the internet is good and camera and laptop seem to be working well.

No comments:

Post a Comment